Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Hooked up for the last time


Today I got hooked up to my last round of chemo. I'm kind of incredulous that I've made it this far. I'm still not completely done - I have a pump on me 'till Friday - but the end is in sight. I've really been trying to take this day by day. It's way too much to handle if you try to look further ahead. But today, I'm looking 2 days ahead, to the end of chemo, end of hair loss, nausea, achy muscles, steroid puffiness and all that crap.

It feels really good. That's the first time I've been able to say that in a long time.

My oncologist says there's little chance of cancer returning. CT scans every six months and colonoscopies every year, but other than that I can get back to normal life. Well, normal life with the new found knowledge that, as Hedwig and the Angry Inch aptly put it, "Enemies and adversaries, they try and tear me down. You want me baby, I dare you. Try and tear me down."


1 comment:

Jools said...

Congratulations on going through with all the chemo - its a great achievement and so few people really understand how hard it is.

I had a call from my surgeon yesterday - the CT scan results are normal, i.e: no signs of cancer in lungs, abdomen or pelvis, So that's it for the next 11 months & 2 weeks when I will go through it all again. My life suddenly opens up & I have mixed feelings of cautious happiness, tempered with knowing that I have another 4 years to go before a cure can be pronouced.

Tomorrow - another half marathon. A bit nervous as I have a bit of a chest infection. But what is good is that I now know (for the time being)that its just the usual health niggles that we all go through & nothing sinister.

Best wishes

Jules