Friday, October 19, 2007

Don't skunk me, bro!


Poor Murphy met his first skunk.

Scout was performing last night (he sings so purty!) and as we approached the front door Scout said, "it smells like skunk." I opened the door, walked back to the kitchen and wham! Skunk-tastic. Murphy smelled like burning tires, his eyes were all bloodshot and encrusted in mud. (My best guess is that he tried to root around in the mud to get the burning sensation to go away.)

I searched the internet for de-skunking recipes and we piled back in the car to the 24-hour drugstore to get hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Murphy went straight into the tub where we lathered him up and let him marinate for 10 minutes. We tried to keep him in the tub while he squirmed and made Chewbacca death screams.

It mostly worked -- his face is still a bit stinky 'cause I didn't want to get the H2O2 near his eyes. Hopefully he won't go chasing those "mean, big, black and white kitties" ever again.

1 comment:

Spencer Douglas said...

Sorry about that Murphy! I've been sprayed by a skunk too, and it wasn't fun at all... no sir, not one bit!

I was put into a bathtub full of tomato sauce/juice. It worked (somewhat), but then I smelled faintly of skunk and strongly of tomatoes for about a week.